SMSC stands for spiritual, moral, social and cultural. All schools in England must show how well their students develop in SMSC.
Explore beliefs and experience; respect values; discover oneself and the surrounding world; use imagination and creativity; reflect.
Recognise right and wrong; respect the civil and criminal law of England; understand consequences; investigate moral and ethical issues; offer reasoned views.
Use social skills in different contexts; work well with others; resolve conflicts; understand how communities work; contribute positively to life in modern Britain
Appreciate cultural influences; knowledge of Britain's democratic parliamentary system; participate in culture opportunities; understand, accept, respect and celebrate diversity.
Park Lane Academy aims to:
- Encourage the development of self awareness and confidence whilst at the same time promoting sensitivity, support, appreciation and respect for others;
- provide the learning opportunities that lead to continuous improvement in achievement;
- recognise and reward all achievement;
- allow all students to share positive experiences, to feel valued and to enjoy their life at the Academy;
- assist individuals to develop the skills and knowledge needed for their current and future roles within society;
- encourage parental and community involvement in all aspects of the life of the Academy.
In addition, we encourage the development of the whole person through:
- encouraging students to become confident and positive contributors to their community;
- providing opportunities to develop an awareness of our own and other cultures in the
- ensuring that students appreciate racial and cultural diversity and help to prevent racism;
- encouraging and promoting a wide range of inclusive extra-curricular and enrichment opportunities and experiences.
All faculty areas provide opportunities to promote students’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. All staff have a duty to promote and contribute to the:
- immediate school community;
- community within which the school is located (geographical community);
- UK community;
- global community (EU & international links).